Banking online is an easy and convenient activity. However, criminals are eager to steal your online banking details so they can drain your accounts.
Scammers can use a variety of scams to do this, including using malicious code to exploit vulnerabilities in outdated or unpatched software to capture information.
Shopping online is another process that you need to be smart about. Be wary of websites that you have not visited before or that look suspicious or unprofessional. Scammers may have set them up to capture payments, harvest your personal information or deliver a virus or other malicious software to your computer.
- Access your bank’s website by typing the address directly into your browser
- Keeping your computer up-to-date with anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software
- Use the security measures (such as two-factor authentication) recommended by your bank
- Always log out of the internet banking menu and closing your browser when you have completed a session
- Research for unknown retailers and their products and services
- Deal primarily with trusted and reliable online retailers
Stay ahead of the scam game.
You can regularly review information on the latest scams through the following websites: