Building & contents insurance

It’s not a house, it’s a home

Insure your home inside and out from loss or damage caused by one or more of 11 insured events.

Building & contents insurance

Save up to 10%

on your first year’s premium when you quote and buy a new policy online1, 3

Your insurance options

If you’re renting, or renting out your property to others, this won’t be the product for you. Instead, check out our other insurance options.

Why insure your building & contents with us?

Get cover for your home buildings and your contents by combining buildings and contents covers on the one policy.

Online discount

Save up to 10% on your first year’s premium when you quote and buy a new buildings and contents policy online1,3.

Monthly payments

Pay by the month at no extra cost4.

Combined discount

Combine Home buildings and contents cover on one policy to receive up to 10% discount on your premium2,3.

Easy claims

24/7 claims lodgement available online or through the claims phone hotline.

Make sure you’re covered

If you take both Building and Contents insurance here’s how they can work together if the unexpected occurs:

  • Your house burns down. You could lose all your buildings, and everything in them. With adequate sums insured under Buildings and Contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
  • A fire damages your kitchen. You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as benchtops, with Buildings cover. Then you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your Contents cover.
  • A thief smashes your window, breaks the lock and steals your belongings. You can fix the window and lock through your Buildings cover and replace the items that were stolen under your Contents cover.

Plus, you will only have to pay the applicable excess(es) once in respect of any single claim if your buildings and contents are damaged by the same insured event.

How you’ll be covered

The better you understand your policy, the easier it will be if you ever have to claim.

Here is a limited summary of the benefits of a buildings and contents insurance policy. For full details, of the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), and any applicable supplementary PDS before making a decision to purchase this insurance.

The Home Buildings and Home Contents Key Fact Sheets (KFS) also sets out some information about the cover. Select the cover to suit your needs.

Building & contents coverage

Type Details
Rebuilding and professional fees If you need to rebuild your home after total loss or damage, Allianz will help pay the reasonable costs of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors up to $5,000.
Cover for the unexpected Allianz offers cover for out of the ordinary but devastating events such as fire5, storm5 and burglary.
Cover for storm damage5 Covers loss or damage by storm, cyclone5 , rain water, runoff (provided run-off is not combined with flood waters) and, if caused by and occurs within the first 72 hours following a storm, Allianz provides cover for loss or damage caused by soil movement, landslide, mudslide or subsidence.
Making your buildings environmentally friendly If your buildings are totally destroyed and need to be rebuilt, in addition to your buildings sum insured, Allianz will pay up to $5,000 (after deduction of any government or council rebates) to help you make the new buildings more environmentally friendly.
Alternative accommodation for you and your pets If your Building or Contents are damaged by an insured event during the period of insurance to such an extent that you can’t live in your home buildings, Allianz pay the additional costs for temporary accommodation for you up to 10% of the building or contents sum insured (as applicable) and up to $500 for temporary accommodation for your pets in a commercial boarding establishment. This benefit applies up to a maximum of 12 months.
Replacement locks Allianz will cover the cost, up to $1,000, to replace the locks or cylinders of any external door or window following an actual or attempted theft or burglary if the key is stolen or you believe the key has been copied.
Vandalism or malicious damage You are covered for loss or damage caused by vandalism or a malicious act.
Debris removal In addition to your sum insured, Allianz will pay up to 10% of your building and/or contents sum insured for the removal of debris from the damaged or destroyed part of the buildings.
Legal liability Allianz will cover your legal liability up to $20 million for payment of compensation relating to death, bodily injury or illness, and/or physical loss of or damage to property caused by an accident (or series of accidents).
24/7 claims assistance When you need to make a claim Allianz are there for you with 24 hour claims lodgement available online, or you can call the claim line to commence the claims process over the phone.
Cover when you’re moving house Allianz will cover your contents for loss or damage caused by an insured event both at your new and old address for up to 14 days after you first start to move. No cover is provided for loss or damage whilst contents are in transit (unless you have Accidental damage cover).

Optional coverage

Apply to add any of these optional covers for an additional premium and greater cover.

Type Details
Optional cover – Accidental damage The accidental damage cover option helps cover you in the event of accidental unexpected mishaps that are caused unintentionally – giving you greater coverage for your home building and/or contents.
Optional cover – Portable contents You can choose optional cover to insure your portable contents such as mobile phones, cameras and engagement rings in the event of theft or an accident at the insured address and when you take them out of your home, even when you are temporarily outside Australia for up to 120 continuous days in any period of insurance. Some portable contents must be specified as Listed portable contents with the full replacement value to be covered away from the home.
Optional cover – Motor burnout The motor burnout option covers you if an electrical current damages your household electrical motors. This cover is automatically included if you have taken optional Accidental Damage cover.
Optional cover – Flood cover Flood cover may be available as an optional cover to your buildings and contents. A 72 hour exclusion period applies5.
Optional cover – Domestic workers’ compensation cover Cover for a domestic worker (e.g. gardener or cleaner), if they are injured while working for you at the insured address. Only available in ACT, WA and TAS.

Tools to get you started

It’s up to you to decide the sums insured, and the type and level of cover that you want to take out. People generally want enough insurance to cover the property’s estimated replacement value. If you don’t have enough cover, you could end up having to cover some of the costs yourself.

Remember, Allianz will only pay up to the amount of your loss or the sum insured, whichever is the lesser (subject to the policy terms and conditions) – so you should also be careful not to over insure. That’s why we’ve provided these calculators. They work as guides to help you estimate the replacement value of your building and contents.

What you should know

Buildings Insurance is designed to cover the physical structures and fixtures that make up your home buildings: from the house itself, to your garage, fences and paved driveways – even built-in appliances like hot water systems, air-conditioners and more.

Contents insurance covers the belongings you have at the insured address: from your furniture, carpet and appliances to your BBQ and even your clothes, shoes and handbags. So, if any of the insured events happen during the period of insurance, we’ll generally pay to repair or replace your contents – up to the policy limits.

We do not provide advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision please refer to the relevant Home Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) any applicable supplementary PDS, Home Buildings Key Fact Sheets and Home Contents Key Facts Sheet also available for reference.

Simple & fuss-free

Our liteBlue Variable Rate home loan is a loan made for those who don’t need all the bells and whistles.

Frequently asked questions

  • What do I do if I need to make a buildings and/or contents insurance claim?

  • Am I covered for Flood?

  • I have changed the security on my property - do I need to let you know?

  • I’m about to install a new kitchen and renovate my bathroom - should I notify my insurer?

  • I have commenced using my home for business purposes - should I notify my insurer?

  • What do I do if I rent my home out to tenants?

  • How much will I be covered for?

  • What if I need help choosing the right amount of cover?

  • I run a business from home, can I get cover?

  • Which option do I need to cover my laptop, tablet, mobile phone or smart watch away from home?

  • Can I cover my bike and other sporting equipment away from home?

  • How do I know if I have optional covers on my policy?

  • Will I be covered if my drone is damaged or stolen within my home?

Things you should know

Hume Bank ABN 85 051 868 556. AFSL/Australian Credit Licence No. 244248 arranges this insurance as agent for the insurer Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL No 234708. We do not provide any advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision, please consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement available from or by calling 1300 004 863. The relevant Target Market Determination is available by calling 1300 004 863. If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Ask us for more details before we provide you with services.

1 Online discount – When you quote and buy a new home insurance policy online a discount of up to 10% is applied to your first year’s premium including the following optional covers (if selected); Accidental damage, Flood, Motor Burnout and Portable Contents. This discount is not applied on renewal.

2 Combined discount – A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn’t apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional covers.

3 Minimum premiums – If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means any subsequent discount will be applied to the reduced premium amount after applying any prior discounts and the effect of the subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two 10% discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts. Discounts do not apply to taxes or government charges. Discounts do not apply to optional covers for Domestic workers’ compensation / Landlord workers’ compensation, and may not apply to other optional covers (if available and selected). Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and may only apply to the extent that any minimum premium is not reached.

4 Instalment premiums – If you choose to pay your premium by instalments you do not pay us any more than if you pay your premium in one lump sum annually. The premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding. Note: Your financial institution may apply transaction fees to instalment payments.

5 72 hour exclusion period – We may not provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. Refer to PDS for when exclusion periods apply.