See all articles

Government Deposit Guarantee

Deposits with Hume Bank are guaranteed by the Federal Government’s Financial Claims Scheme, which is confirmed as a permanent protection measure in the Australian financial services sector.

What is the Financial Claims Scheme?

The Financial Claims Scheme (FCS) is an Australian Government scheme that provides protection and quick access to deposits in banks, building societies and credit unions in the unlikely event that one of these financial institutions fails. Under the FCS, certain deposits are protected up to a limit of $250,000 for each account holder at any bank, building society, credit union or other authorised deposit-taking institution (ADI) that is incorporated in Australia and authorised by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). The FCS can only come into effect if it is activated by the Australian Government when an institution fails. Once activated, the FCS will be administered by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). In an FCS scenario, APRA would aim to pay the majority of customers their protected deposits under the Scheme within seven calendar days.

You may be entitled to payment under the Financial Claims Scheme in relation to the following accounts:

  • All Purpose
  • Business
  • Business iSave
  • Cash Management (no longer offered)
  • Christmas Club (no longer offered)
  • Clancy Koala
  • Community Link
  • Essential
  • Farm Management Deposit
  • Flexible Loan Offset
  • iSave
  • Passbook Savings (no longer offered)
  • Professional Cash Management
  • Professional Trust
  • Retirement Account
  • Reward Saver
  • Tax Manager
  • Term Investment
  • Youth Extra (no longer offered)

How is the FCS limit applied?

The FCS limit of $250,000 applies to the sum of an account holder’s deposits under the one banking license.

Therefore, all deposits held by an account holder with a single banking institution must be added together towards the $250,000 FCS limit, and this includes accounts with any other banking businesses that the licensed banking institution may operate under a different trading name.

Where can I get further information on the FCS?

Learn more about the FCS at their website here